15110 North Dallas Pkwy #400
Dallas, TX 75248
Motor Vehicle Fraud
Texas has strict laws relating to the fraudulent transfer of a motor vehicle. When a car is taken or sold without the consent of its owner, it is considered motor vehicle fraud. This includes car leases, subleases and property transfers involving motor vehicles.
When charged with motor vehicle fraud, the punishment varies depending on the crime and a fraud attorney should be contacted if you find yourself in this situation.
Motor Vehicle Fraud Attorney Dallas TX
If you have been accused of the fraudulent transfer of a motor vehicle in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Denton, Plano, Allen, Lewisville, Rockwall or the surrounding areas, contact The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy immediately.
The attorneys at The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy are skilled criminal defense attorneys in Dallas. They will use their combined experience to devise a strong defense on your behalf.
Contact Richard C. McConathy and Brian Bolton of the The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy today at (972) 233-5700 to set up a free consultation. Named Rising Stars by Texas Monthly Magazine, the attorneys at the The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy will work zealously to achieve the best possible results in your motor vehicle fraud case.
Motor Vehicle Fraud Information Center
Motor vehicle fraud or fraudulent transfer of a motor vehicle is governed by Tex. Pe. Code Ann 32.34.
An individual or company commits an offense if they accept or acquire a motor vehicle of another person under an oral or written agreement to arrange for the transfer of the motor vehicle to another third party and is:
- Aware that the vehicle is subject to a lease, lean or security interest, without first obtaining written permission from the vehicles lessor, creditor or lienholder.
- Intends to harm or defraud the vehicle's owner, the person transfers the vehicle to the third party.
- The person intending to harm or defraud the vehicle's owner, disposes of the vehicle in a manner other than by transferring it to a third party
- The person does not disclose the location of the vehicle on the request of the vehicles lien holder.
If the individual or company does not disclose the location of the vehicle on the request of the vehicles lien holder, they can face a Class A misdemeanor. For the rest of the crimes:
- If the value of the motor vehicle is less than $30,000 then the accused faces a state jail felony.
- If the motor vehicle is valued at more than $30,000 but less than $150,000 then the accused faces a third degree felony.
- If the motor vehicle is valued at more than $150,000 but less than $300,000 then the accused faces a second degree felony.
- If the motor vehicle is value at more than $300,000 then the accused faces a first degree felony.
All charges under a motor vehicle fraud are serious and should not be taken lightly. An attorney should be contacted immediately I you have been accused of any of these charges so they can build strong defense for your case.
In the state of Texas, car dealers are required to keep the following records related to any car sales.
- A Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure State The VTR Form 136
- A Sale Contact
- A Retail Agreement
- A copy of the Application for the Certificate of Title
- A Copy of the title and any related power of attorney
If you have been involved in the sale of car and are unable to provide certain documents there may be an issue with what you initially received from the seller. The items listed above do not apply to individual vehicle sellers.
Motor Vehicle Fraud Attorney Dallas TX – The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy
If you have been accused of motor vehicle fraud, you still have options. You should remember to contact an attorney immediately. If you contact The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy at (972) 233-5700 you will receive a free consultation from a skilled white collar crime defense attorney.
The Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy is proud to serve those in Dallas County, Tarrant County, Denton County, Rockwall County, Collin County and the surrounding areas.